Thursday 30 August 2012

30th August Marsh Harrier


Was going to sit on the bench at my local watch point today but changed my mind when I saw the weather. Instead I got the bus up to Wainstalls and walked to Cold Edge Dams. Why have I come here I thought, will probably just get 1 Black-headed Gull and some poxy Mallards. Looked on the first dam, 1 Black-headed Gull and a group of Mallards, spot on. Was just thinking to myself, how come Pete Grba goes up Walshaw Dean for the first time in years the other day and gets a Marsh Harrier, why does that never happen to meeeee (what’s that!!!) bins up, a Cream Crown MARSH HARRIER on the moor being mobbed by corvids, brilliant. Got the camera out and aimed at the harrier, the bird came into focus but then the camera just shut down. Oh no what’s going on, tried again but the same thing happened again so quickly changed the battery. By the time I had done this the bird had departed, still my 11th species of raptor in Calderdale this year made it a red letter day. Also had 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Red Grouse, 2 Grey Partridge, 1 Pheasant, 1 Grey Heron, 4 Wheatears, 1 Robin, 1 House Martin and a few swallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment